Tuesday, March 12, 2013

When Skies Are Grey

We went to a "Celebration of Life" memorial for a long time, dear friend of Brooke's family who recently passed from cancer. She was a lovely, vivacious, and amazing woman. I like to flatter myself to think that if I was 30 years older we would have had much in common and been great friends. She too looked great in hats.

I kept it together through all the readings and stories until one of her daughters, who had just given birth to her first grandchild just a few weeks after her death, got up to speak. She told of how her Mom used to sing her this special song when she was a child, and that she had been trying to sing it to her newborn daughter, but just hadn't been able to manage it quite yet. So she asked for our help and the entire room softly serenaded her daughter as she lay in her father's arms with "You Are My Sunshine."

Luckily I was just outside the doorway with Katherine keeping her company and quiet when this happened, because I kind of lost it. Between the thought of losing my Mother, my Daughter losing me, and memories of my Grandmother (who passed 10 years ago) singing that very same song to me, as well as me singing it to Katherine when she was a newborn... oy vey. Thankfully she was very tolerant of the sudden deluge of kisses and hugs that were bestowed upon her... as long as I didn't get between her cheddar bunnies or Sid the Science Kid video. We all have our priorities.

You will be missed and are loved by many Chris, but the legacy and family you have bestowed upon the world are a blessing to us all. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment