Sunday, September 12, 2010

Call Me "Preggers" at Your Own Peril

She is definitely "preggers"
I don't know exactly why I hate that term so much. I've hated it long before I got (ahem) PREGNANT, it just brings to mind images of a 16 year old girl, somewhere in the mid-west, who got knocked up by her boyfriend (who invariably has two first names like Billy Bob or Bubba Joe) while drinking Boones in the back of his pickup truck after a romantic night of cow tipping. "Preggers" does NOT bring to mind a 35 year old agnostic woman who is married to someone she is not closely related to and living in Ballard, Seattle and has never once been cow tipping.

So, pregnant, with child, bun-in-the-oven, the aforementioned "knocked up and shit," carrying a baby, offspring, spawn, parasite, even the far-too visually inspiring "crotch goblin" work better for me than "preggers" or even "prego."

Consider yourself warned. Hell hath no furry like a pissed off pregnant woman. :-)

4 comments:

  1. "...and has never once been cow tipping."

    If you ever want to try it, I can totally hook you up. I know some people. Call me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not appreciate, very early on, when my dear husband referred to me as "great with child." I think that is best reserved for the 3rd trimester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree that "preggers" is a really gross word. It actually kind of sounds like you have bugs or something. You won't hear it from me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silver- I'll probably be staying away from large, dirty barnyard animals for awhile now, but thanks for the offer!

    Laura- Ah! Yeah, I know it's a biblical/literary reference and all, but Wow! Totally inappropriate while you can still see your toes!

    V- Yeah, it sounds like some kind of VD (which some might argue it kinda is), or something you'd catch from a public toilet. :-P

    ReplyDelete