Thursday, October 14, 2010

OT- What is the deal with my dog?

Not directly pregnancy related, other than the fact that I'm pregnant and wondering about this... but why is it when I go to the bathroom, my dog wants to be in there with me? He will get up out of his comfy bed and follow me upstairs, curl up on the bath mat at my feet, and chill while I'm doing my business. Every time. Sometimes he even wants to get up in my lap. Is this just my weird dog or everyone's?

Why? I mean, it's not like I'm pooping bacon in there, and while it's nothing like a sani-can on a construction site in August in Louisiana, thanks to the "green" low-flush toilet (translation, very little water in the bowl) it's not always a rose garden either. A dog's sense of smell is some hundreds of times stronger than a human's, and I don't want to be in there with me sometimes, so why on earth does he?

He's perfectly content to stay in the other room while I'm sitting on the couch, putting on makeup, doing dishes, taking a bath... but I need to go, ahem, "drop some kids off at the pool" and he's all about it, sitting there keeping me company and cheering me on. Perhaps he's just fascinated by my ability to poop in the house, magically make it disappear AND not get in trouble for it?

2 comments:

  1. My dogs do the exact same thing, plus Bruno loves to stick his head in the shower when I am in there. I think they like to protect us, and we are at our most vulnerable when we are on the can. I also think they like the smell, the smellier the better! We are talking about the same dogs who will happily roll in a rotting bird carcass at the park so as to "perfume themselves." So, roses for us, poop for them. They don't find the same smells offensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, good to know it's not just my weirdo dog! The idea of him standing vigil while I'm going to the bathroom is rather funny. Luckily he's not shown any interest in rolling in nasty things, though my other one did.

    This is also the same dog who high tails it when every there's any smoky cooking (bacon, stir frying) going on. He's out on the deck in the cold shaking. Still a bit puzzled about that one, I guess it's his little woodland creature instincts popping up.

    ReplyDelete